Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Who's loves little tyke yoginis?!?!

A word about our past weekend...
This past weekend, with my Korean co-teacher, Erin, Kent and I headed out west of the city to do some hiking. This park and path was one of many that surround the city, and I can't imagine that any other is as well loved at this one was. However, the chances are that each place is just as populated on the weekend.




At the bottom of the hill, not to disappoint expectations of tidiness, there are forced air shooter-guns to blow the extra dust off of your shoes and pants.




Afterwards, we met Erin's friend out for some sushi!! The sushi looking rolls in the other pictures were NOT sushi... that was gimbab... THIS is sushi:




NOW... about those little tyke yoginis.
Every Monday Erin and I lead yoga for my two youngest kindergarden classes. I have been so excited to see how much they focus. We sit and meditate... 


Then we stretch and massage our heads singing "mass-agee, mass-agee, mass-sage-ee..." and then we get into our asanas (postures).
The first day we worked on "cat and cow" (complete with animal sounds, of course).
Yesterday we worked on "sailboat." We balanced on our bottoms and lifted our legs into the air and rowed a boat with our arms. We rowed away from dinosaurs and monters and alligators. Then we lay down for relaxation... savasana.... ahhhhh. The kids tried to be peaceful and lay on the mats, but it was contray what their excited minds and bodies tell them. Erin and I walked around and soothed them with touches to their heads and arms. 
Yes, that's our little frogger, Bella, and Tinkerbell.


Often in class I feel like I'm oppressing their wild and curious spirits, but I know that my job here is to show them another, more culturally acceptable, way to act and eventually be. One of the lessons of the day was teaching "thumbs up and thumbs down" for "good and not good behavior." Can you imagine looking at a tiny Korean person and giving them a thumbs down with a frown face for stepping out of line. I just can't do it. 




-by bear

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, I just can't stand this! It is soooooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed, so cute, gah! so glad to see your posts and know you all are having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete

Enough of our babble... you got something to say?