Friday, October 21, 2011

A hard day...

These happen every once in awhile, and since I've been an ESL teacher in Korea, hard days have been more frequent. Many things have been more frequent, hilarious stories about kids smashing one another in the face with rubber balls, hilarious stories of kids farting, hilarious stories of laughing so hard kids spit kimchi out of their noses.


Today, was a low-to-no patience kind of day when the things that I remember as I'm walking home are all of the little annoying quirks of the kids, the loud crashes of their pencils falling on the floor and how painfully long it takes them to get out their books and turn to the correct page... not to mention the annoyance of my own sourness. It's not my most shining self coming forward when my patience cup is a barren wasteland.


Upon reflection, ALL of our blogs portray the "good days." The days that I come home feeling like I put on a great show for the kids, all day long. I held their little fly-like attention spans in the palm of my hand and engaged from start to finish with well-timed jokes and accessible learning. I feel like I made learning fun on those days and that they might be excited to come back for the next great show. Also, on the good days I share on our blog, we are jet setting to islands or discovering fun niches of Korean society. Most days we are just coming home from work, swapping stories of the good, the bad and the fricking hilarious, wrestling up some dinner (usually delicious) having an adult beverage and going to bed at a reasonable hour, just to wake up and do it all over again the next day.


We have made a cozy home here, and with the regular at-home lifestyle comes the sunny, and the rainy days. Some days, it's just hard. This is one of those days, and we help each other try and remember the bigger picture of how awesome our life is, being in a foreign country, making new friends and eating new foods, but TGIF.







3 comments:

Enough of our babble... you got something to say?